Old 14-04-2010, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Tree stump killer

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:38:56 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wibbled:

Tim Watts wrote:
Jeff Layman
wibbled on Wednesday 07 April 2010 17:21

But if you use the ammonium sulphamate from that pack as a stump
killer, you
will be doing something illegal, as daft as it may sound. In fact,
AFAIAA, you are only allowed to use approved products for designated
"pesticide"

Sod that, already ordered

uses. If you use anything else (eg coffee grounds to deal with
slugs), then
you risk prosecution.

What you have to realise is that there are now so many statues on the
book that criminalise perfectly innocuous activities that the only way
to remain sane is forget the law and use common sense - this has become
and will remain my approach to life in this country until such a time
that sanity is restored (if ever).

Do you feel happy that it is a non indictable criminal offence for you
to replace one of your windows or an external door without informing
local building control, to quote one example?

Oh dear! Oh dear oh dear! And I've replaced my back door *AND* my front
door,,,

And I've a box full of old mains cable waiting for something-or-other,

This

and a gas cooker to put in the kitchen.

bizarrly, is the one bit that you don't need to tell anyone (as long as
you are not doing the work for someone else with renumeration in any
form). But you do need to be "competant" which is usually defined as: if
you end up before the beak because you blew your house up and maimed
someone, you are presumed "not competant" ;-

I scared my building control. Doing so much work on my house, I did
submit a building notice covering the lot. They agreed to accept my
electrical test certs for wiring (have minimal relevant qualification and
a Megger). Happy with everything else. Then they spotted that I'd put
down "install gas boiler" (for the Part L ********). They kind of short
circuited then - admitting of their own free will it was quite legal, but
they'd never had that situation before, so were feeling queasy. Anyway,
we came to an understanding...

Anyway, good on you.

Who's got the duty handcuffs this week?

--