Old 15-04-2010, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Raspberry Vines Question

Bob said:

Planted some Raspberry vines, for first time.

Was wondering: Assuming any berries actually appear, are

Raspberries
something:

Rabbits will go after ?

Rabbits will occasionally go after them. They don't go after the
fruit, but sometimes strip the leave off the new shoots.

In a very harsh winter, they will mow down and devour all the
canes which would wipe out the entire crop for the next summer,
unless you were growing a variety that is a fall bearer.

Birds ?

They don't bother my raspberries. Too busy eating mulberries
or wild blackcap raspberries. It's like they aren't 'trained' to go
after red raspberries, at least where I'm gardening now.

Years back, in a different location, I had to net the raspberries
to keep the birds off.

Squirrels ?

Never been a problem.

Or,...?

Yellowjackets and ants will attack ripe berries, particularly the
fall crop. (Bald face hornets will visit the fall blossoms on
my raspberries and may actually do quite a bit of pollinating,
but, unlike their more colorful relatives, they don't chew up
the berries.)

Not sure if there is a solution to that other than be vigilant and
destroy yellowjacket nests. You could try treating the ground
around the raspberries if ants are a big problem.

Don't spray the berries themselves with anything you aren't
willing to eat yourself; they are far to delicate to wash.

Deer could potentially be a problem, but haven't been so far
for me.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored