Old 15-04-2010, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Tree stump killer

Tim Watts wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:38:56 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wibbled:

This

and a gas cooker to put in the kitchen.

bizarrly, is the one bit that you don't need to tell anyone (as long as
you are not doing the work for someone else with renumeration in any
form). But you do need to be "competant" which is usually defined as: if
you end up before the beak because you blew your house up and maimed
someone, you are presumed "not competant" ;-

I think I qualify as 'competent' I once had a plumber ask "Owjer do
*THAT*?" He'd never seen the copper welding rod which makes virtually
visually undetectable joins in copper pipe, and it's intended for
plumbing use...

I scared my building control. Doing so much work on my house, I did
submit a building notice covering the lot. They agreed to accept my
electrical test certs for wiring (have minimal relevant qualification and
a Megger). Happy with everything else. Then they spotted that I'd put
down "install gas boiler" (for the Part L ********). They kind of short
circuited then - admitting of their own free will it was quite legal, but
they'd never had that situation before, so were feeling queasy. Anyway,
we came to an understanding...

Back in the '60s a mate of mine bought a house. The wiring was all
lead-sheathed and if you touched it, you felt a distinct tingle plus.
Naturally, the electrickery board refused to connect the supply to it,
so it was disconnected and a jury-rigged but safe mini-system of modern
cable connected while I helped him rewire the whole house.

When the innspetor came round to test everything, he wound his megger,
looked puzzled, turned a knob and wound it again, again looked puzzled,
and turned the knob again, and wound.

"Who wired the house?" he asked.

"I did," said Ken, "with my mate. Why? Whats the matter?"

"Matter? Nothing. I wish you'd rewire a few more places round here! Even
on its top setting, the bleedin' needle hardly moved."

--
Rusty