Old 15-04-2010, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Which tomato variety?

Donwill wrote:
On the basis of flavour first and yield second, which tomato variety do
you favour?

Flavour first, I always go for Gardener's Delight. They're only cherry
size, but they are by far the tastiest. And the yield is good too, so
that's a bonus.

Last year's crop got a bit muddled (Nick planted things out whilst I was
away and didn't notice the pots were colour coded!), but I /think/ the
really nice slightly unusual one we did last year was Caspian Pink. But we
managed to kill all of the CP seedlings from the leftover seeds this year,
so it will be at least another year until we can confirm.

My 4 year old absolutely loves ildi (another cherry, yellow this time),
which are remarkably high yield, but a bit bland for my taste.

The 2 I found least tasty last year are alicante and tigerella. Given them
a miss this year.

And finally, I think the sub arctic plenty did very well outside, for a
medium sized red, but being outside they get a bit tough skinned.