Old 15-04-2010, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Simonite Paul Simonite is offline

Default Which tomato variety?

The message
from "Ragnar" contains these words:

Not quite an answer to your question, but I have always found that the
important factor for best flavour is not so much the choice of variety, but
rather to grow the plants in good soil and let the tomatoes ripen on the
plant. The reason shop tomatoes are sometimes rather tasteless is
that they
are intensively grown and picked while green.
Just my own experience for what its worth
R.

Quite agree! I recently had to discard a six pack of Tesco toms
becauise they rotted before the could ripen. They must have been picked
far too green. I generally find that all toms ar etasty when ripened
properly on the plant and then eaten straight from that plant on a warm
day.

--
Compo