Old 16-04-2010, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default HomeBase Tomatoes

David WE Roberts wrote:
Depends on where you are :-)

Not really, they're in a greenhouse. :-)
A very warm one, at that.

I've just checked and the tomato I potted up outside is about 6" tall above
ground and it seems to be perfectly happy.
We are in Suffolk, near the coast.

Essex, with a very hot back garden, and incredibly hot greenhouse (well, the
one with the sun in someone else's garden - ours is a bit more shaded due to
positioning and lack of direct sun most of the day!)

It is on a sheltered south facing patio tucked up against the house wall so
it is probavbly warmer than elsewhere in the garden.

As long as you don't expect any more frost then I think you should be O.K.

It's not so much the frost as the size, and if it will feel lonely, or if it
will benefit from the extra space to spread its roots yet. It's not long
since they potted into pots!

The courgettes and the chillis also seem happy.

My courgettes are only wee still, but I always have trouble with putting
them out too early, so I'm going to leave them to become giants before I put
them out this year.

And oddly, not a single pepper has germinated. I will sow some more this
weekend. Maybe they know how much I hate them!