Old 16-04-2010, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L.[_2_] Dan L.[_2_] is offline

Default Fact or fiction?

In article ,
wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

I used to think Roses were cool and part of all nice gardens. Now in my
old age I hate the things. I now think there ugly. Not even worth
putting in a vase. Years ago I had dozens of them. Now down to four
bushes and tempted to rip them out.

Trust me. You need roses.

LOL! I'm with Dan on this one and somewhat grateful that he has
"seen the light"; LOL! In fact, I dislike virtually all garden flowers.
Even in my younger days, found flowers to be garish and ugly. Always
regarded growing flowers to be as silly and as great a waste of
resources and as abusive of the environment as maintaining a "lawn" and
simply don't do either. In fact, I had hoped that by now enlightened
jurisdictions in U.S.A. would have begun banning lawns (among the
largest, most environmentally destructive of all large-scale
"monocrops") and restricting flower gardening but, I guess it ain't
gonna happen: The movies-induced vision of happy family in its quaint
bungalow replete with picket fence and green, green lawn simply remains
too strong, I guess.
Man, don't _even_ get me started on those nasty-assed European
honeybees-from-Hell and the ignorant, lazy, irresponsible twits who
continue to allow them to escape into the environment, at large, and
naturalize.

My lawn has been destroyed by chickens which are not caged, my vegetable
garden is caged. However, I like those european honeybees from Italy
they are mild creatures and I like their honey. Bees belong in the
natural environment. If they escape in a swarm too bad, prove they
belong to me neighbor! Flowers are needed in my garden for the nectar
that bees need to survive. I need a variety of flowers that bloom at
different times of the year, food for the bees. Roses however provide
little in return for the amount of work needed to care for them.

If you don't like Roses, lawns, flowers and honey bees.
What do you like in a garden? Rocks and Sand?

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.