Old 17-04-2010, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Kale

Jeff Thies wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:
I was down at the local K-Mart (Atlanta 7b) and they had 9 packs
of Kale. (I struck out last fall growing from seed)

I found that a bit strange, but took it home.

Is it crazy to put this in this time of year? Will I get a
harvest, or will it live to thrive in cooler weather in autumn?
What about care?
Hard to say as I don't know where you are or what season it is
there. Kale may grow in hot and cold conditions if you can keep
the water up to it and the cabbage moth grubs at bay when it is
hot. My idea of cold is -5C and no snow. If you have -30C and
heavy snow I don't know. I have also noticed some variation
between cultivars in dealing with the heat and grubs. David

Here in region 9, kale and Swiss chard are almost impossible to kill.

Summer or winter?

It is nominally a biennial whether it goes for the full two years will
depend on your conditions. As Billy says it is very hardy.

David