Old 17-04-2010, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Kale

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:
I was down at the local K-Mart (Atlanta 7b) and they had 9 packs of
Kale. (I struck out last fall growing from seed)

I found that a bit strange, but took it home.

Is it crazy to put this in this time of year? Will I get a harvest,
or will it live to thrive in cooler weather in autumn? What about
care?
Hard to say as I don't know where you are or what season it is there.
Kale
may grow in hot and cold conditions if you can keep the water up to it and
the cabbage moth grubs at bay when it is hot. My idea of cold is -5C and
no
snow. If you have -30C and heavy snow I don't know. I have also noticed
some variation between cultivars in dealing with the heat and grubs.

David
Here in region 9, kale and Swiss chard are almost impossible to kill.

Summer or winter?

How should I water the Kale, can I drip it like everything else, or
should I get some of those spray emitters? If so, I won't plant it with
the cucurbits.

Jeff

Jeff

I can't think of anything in a vegetable garden that would benefit from
overhead watering, and quite a few that would suffer.
Go drip (irrigation, that is).

Thanks. I had wondered about carrots and wasn't sure about greens.

Jeff