Old 17-04-2010, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default watering blueberries and peaches.

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
I put in a peach and some blueberries a year ago. They look like they
are now acclimated and growing well, The Peach (perhaps 2" trunk, 9' tall)
is loaded with small fruit about the size of a nickle. The Blueberries,
perhaps 3' tall. Lot of peat moss in holes, particularly the blueberries.

I'm unsure how much water they need. Googling has left me very confused
on this. I'm in 7b, Atlanta, day temps currently in the upper 70's, warmer
later, summer will bring some 90's.

I think I've got a fair idea of how much water cukes and tomatoes need.
But I'm clueless for these. Last year I gave everything the same amount of
water (drip irrigation). I'm thinking this year they will need more. How
do I gauge this? Should I put smaller drippers at the edge of the root
ball? I'm thinking waiting for stress symptoms is not a great plan and I'd
like to not screw this up. Some day, I'd like to learn from success rather
than failure!

Also, when should I thin the fruit on the Peach?

Jeff

I really don't know about peaches, but I'm fairly knowledgeable on the
blueberry front. 90% of blueberry roots occur in the top 8-9 inches of soil,
thus they are quite susceptible to drought. Apply a heavy mulch of organic
(acidic) material (pine needles are great) and water 1-2 inches per week if
nature doesn't supply. They also need a pH of 5.5 (4.8 seems to be optimum)
or lower in order to be able to convert nutrients.

Drip irrigation works quite well. I have about 700 plants and each has a 1
gallon per hour dripper. A deep well pump in the stream pushes water 1200
feet (only 125 foot in rise) up the hill into numerous t's and into about a
mile of 1/2 inch tubing. I use a company in Oregon called Dripworks for all
my irrigation supplies.

I would think peaches are like other fruits, thin them to about 4 inches
after the "June drop".

Hope this helps,
Steve