Old 17-04-2010, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default The best way to remove a small plum tree from garden

On Apr 17, 5:17*pm, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from gra contains these words:

Hi Guys
i have a plum tree bang in the centre of my garden that i want to get
rid off, as i am putting up some climbing frames for my kids. However i
am not sure how to remove the tree, its not very big, its about 18ft
tall max, and is thin, the thickest part of the tree is at the bottom
and measures 20 or so inches around, i was thinking about simply cutting
it down ( safely and do it so i can control where it falls lol) but not
sure what to do with the stump, or how much stump to leave? should i dig
the stump out or use one of the many stump removal products etc? because
the garden is used by my kids i want sure if the stump removal products
were safe etc, so would appreciate any help if possible

* * I would get rid of the stump completely. *It's a *quick and easy job
this way:
* *Cut off the trunk about 2 ft above ground level. the tall stump is
going to be a temporary *lever.

Typo? What with 2 ft not being .. er.. "tall" and would require one
to be on ones knees when attempting to use it's length as a lever.
Otherwise spot on., except that going slightly further out from the
trunk will provide smaller, easier targets.

*Then use a mattock, spade and *elbow
grease to excavate the earth from around the base of the trunk (radius
of one foot, just enough to get to the roots where they join *the
trunk).
Saw , lop or chop off with axe, all *roots *as you uncover them. Use the
2ft stump as a lever to rock and loosen any remaining roots until they
can all be severed
and the stump is free, lift out the severed stump and fill hole. The
roots left underground and will just rot harmlessly.

* * janet