Old 17-04-2010, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Building a retaining wall close to trees

On 17 Apr, 17:00, "mark" wrote:
"rtreter" wrote in message

Hello -

I'm planning to have a retaining wall built to hold back a 1 metre height
difference between two gardens, It will be built from blocks mortared
togther. I guess the concrete footings will extend about 1 metre below the
surface of the "low" garden. There are some trees within 30 cm of the
planned location of the wall, their trunk diameters range between about
5cm
and 20cm. I don't want to kill or substantially harm the trees.

The builder I'm getting a quote from says he will put lintels into the
wall
and footings so that roots larger than about 1cm in diameter don't have to
be cut. Is this a sensible approach, for the trees and/or the wall?

Thanks

Plan B:

Just build a wall to do the job. Prune roots that are in the way.
Plant a couple of trees elsewhere as a form of 'guilt offset'.

mark,- Hide quoted text -

Sorry but if you have buildings that require a wall that substantial
then I would get rid of the trees, to have them within 4 m of the
buildings is much to close for comfort,
The .rule of thumb that I was taught was never have a tree closer to a
building than the eventual height of the tree.
David Hill