Old 18-04-2010, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Was: watering blueberries and peaches.

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
.
..
In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

snip

Got me thinking about spacing and distance and poor soils vs. great.
My
main issue now is Sun and a raised bed encourages heavy planting to
me.
Guess arable space is crucial along with light etc. Micro climates
and
Hopi come to mind. Wandering.

Welllll, since you mention it. I'm sure others have similar
challenges.
What grows for you in low light conditions? Fully a third of my yard
is
in shadow to dappled light.

I'm getting a list of what doesn't grow!

I only have a corner of my lot that gets full sun (after the trees
leaf), and then until only an hour after solar noon. A bit more closer
to the curb, a bit less further in. That leads to denser planting and
closer to the curb.

I suppose you could have a fabulous herb garden in the shady spots.
Parsely, for one, takes little light. Now, if I could just find a use
for it... How about ginseng?

Jeff

Veggies sautéed in butter with shallots and parsley. Boiled potato with
butter and parsley. Fish. Just off the top of my head.

Hummus and Parsley. Nutrition wise I read way good.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Parsley makes a darn decent pesto! Grind together parsley, pine nuts (i like
walnuts), garlic, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon in some good olive
oil and serve over fresh pasta and top with parmesan. Just good simple
peasant food.
Steve