Old 18-04-2010, 03:51 PM
bobapple bobapple is offline
Registered User

I inheritted an old apple tree 15-20 ft grown from seed from the previous owner and cut it down (due to small UK garden and space shortage) and left the old stump in intending to pour stump killer down holes I had drilled. My young daughter (18) was upset over me cutting it down as it was her favourite and some time later new growth started at the base and I left it. It has now re-grown to a tree about 8-10 ft and the old stump has almost completely rotted away. Will it ever recover fully and re-produce apples. I have not cut it down again out of a respect for its determination to survive but if it is completely useless and will never flower/produce fruit it will have to go. (Daughter is now 30). Any advice.