Old 20-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Warwick

Default What To Do With Dirty Weeds

In article ,
says...
In article , ned
writes
swroot wrote:
Pinot Grigio wrote:

What do you do with what I call dirty weeds. You know the type
that if they go on the compost heap, they just wait to multiply
and spread elsewhere when the compost goes back on the garden.
I have usually put a small bag of such weeds in with the weekly
rubbish collection but probably won't be able to do that soon with
a change in rubbish collections. I also read that buried weeds
don't break down when buried in landfill sites.

Every council 'tip' that I have 'done business with' has a green
garden waste skip. If your normal refuse collection won't take it -
and ours won't, there is nothing to prevent you taking it to the
'tip'. Our 'local' tip is nine miles away and I'm happy to make that
journey. 'Did it twice last Thursday.

--

The tip on the Isle of Wight is nothing less than superb. A couple of
years ago the marshalling area was rebuilt. Reverse your car to any one

*RANT*

We have a lovely "green" area in the local Blaby tip.

The *whole* tip is rather well laid out and caters to the recyler.

My last trip there involved no garden waste, but was computer stuff,
steel, plastics, glass, paper, batteries, timber and rubble. The *only*
item that went onto *general* waste was a broken computer montior that
would have been lots of work to split up into the bits (So I'm cursed
for the 500 years it will take for the plastics and glass to break
down). Even the circuit boards from an old PC had a bin and I was happy
to rip them into it and put the case into general metals. Old skirting
board has a place in 'Used Timber'. That is an impressive level of
recycling with a tiny bit of effort.

So when I was last emptying green stuff that was too bulky to compost at
home etc so I took it to the major concern, do people fail to 'bother'
noticing the "NO PLASTIC BAGS IN THE GREEN WASTE!!" sign. Then there's
the sign next to it... "IF THERE IS PLASTIC IS A GREEN LOAD IT WILL HAVE
TO BECOME LANDFILL!". I'll assume they can cope with a minimal amount of
plastics such as plant tags, but on a busy spring morning when there are
lines of cars queueig up to ensure that their excess clippings go to
composting, what kind of idiot dumps half a dozen heavy duty black sacks
on the pile? And then, what moron ignores the signs and thinks that
since someone else did it it must be OK?

If they're just here to *dispose* of their hedge clippings and don't
care about the big recycling push why don't they back the car into one
of the 40 slots for general waste instrad of *queueing* for the green
waste only section? What right do two or three people per hour have to
sabotage the efforts of the other 80-100 who tried to do the right
thing?

Can I please be armed with a large branch next time I see a ****wit
polluting my local park's compost?

Warwick