Old 18-04-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Food/Fruit for semi-shade?

Jim A wrote:
I'm new here, so 'Hi Everyone' and many thanks for the faqs - I've been
inspired to empty and refill my compost bin today to get it going
properly this year.

I have a small garden in Wiltshire. There's not a great deal of space
for growing food, and the small sunny areas there are I've devoted
mainly to pretty things (with the occasional tomato plant which didn't
do too well last year, but I'll try & learn from what went wrong for
this year).

I have one bed, about 7 foot by two which doesn't have anything in it at
all yet. I'd like to grow some veg or fruit, but am not sure what would
thrive on a limited amount of sunshine - it gets only a short amount of
sun in the evening. Any ideas what I should consider? I don't want to
grow anything taller than the standard fence panel as I don't want to
steal any of my neighbours' precious sunshine either.

Blackberries, raspberries and gooseberries will tolerate a fair amount
of shade - they do like some sun though.

I hesitate to suggest nettles and ground elder, both of which are good
green veg (IMO!). I'm about to plant a big shallow tub (when I find one)
with ground elder, so I can spray the unwanted invasive regiments of it.

--
Rusty