Old 18-04-2010, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Advice clearing overgrown shrub bed for lawn

Scottyboy
wibbled on Sunday 18 April 2010 10:18

HI Tim,

Thank, really apreciate the detailed advice.

I'll go with the glyphosphate to kill the weeds as the area I am workin
on isn't enclosed and although I'll warn them the neighbours kids being
kids might stray on the shrub bed. (BTW there aren't any rules about
appluying weedkiller to areas that aren't fenced off?) This also rules
out a burn although that would probabkly be a great way to do the job if
I didn't burn my house down.

The dead tree is small only about 6" thick so hopefully I can get most
of it out by digging and cutting. If I were to leave those roots in
would it affect the lawn or another small tree if I where to plant it in
it's place?

No problem there.

Your the second person to suggest to me a ton of topsoil delived so I
may go for that. Will have to ring round and get a few prices.

On the grass type. I'm looking for hardwaring so I'll look for somer rye
in it. As I said the area isn't enclosed so those pesky kids will
probably use it as a play area.

Thanks Again. I'll post on how it pans out.

Good luck

--
Tim Watts