Old 18-04-2010, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim A Jim A is offline

Default Food/Fruit for semi-shade?

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Blackberries, raspberries and gooseberries will tolerate a fair amount
of shade - they do like some sun though.

I hesitate to suggest nettles and ground elder, both of which are good
green veg (IMO!). I'm about to plant a big shallow tub (when I find one)
with ground elder, so I can spray the unwanted invasive regiments of it.

I already have a thornless bramble - the fruit was very tart last year
so I think it needs more sunshine. I'm glad you mentioned it I might
transplant it or take a cutting to put it somewhere with more light.

And nettles, yes indeed. I planted one last year expecting it to
multiply and give me a bumper crop, but it hasn't much yet. I'll go
find a few more as I like nettle tea and feel rather stupid buying
teabags for it.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride