Old 19-04-2010, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf
Dinosaur_Sr Dinosaur_Sr is offline

Default Weeds on greens?

On Apr 18, 7:39*am, Alan Campbell
wrote:
In message
,
Manco writesOf course golf course keepers use tons of chemicals to kill any weeds
on the greens and fairways.

Thats a bit of a myth, most diseases and weeds etc can be controlled by
cultural practices. Furthermore, amenity ground comes under much
stricter control than agriculture and horticulture.

--
Alan Campbell

That's true. and some places do this, and at least in my experience,
you will always get a few weeds on the greens, which is a good sign,
IMHO. I wonder if they teach this in the greenskeepers programs in US
universities?

One thing I have also seen is the herbicides damage the soil
ecosystem, resulting in algal and fungal outbreaks attacking the
greens as a result, for which they use even more chemicals.

Had a neighbour who used a company called chemlawn to keep his lawn.
Beautiful green lawn. Sold the house and the new owner didn't keep up
the chemlawn. Totally dead lawn within a year, and needed to resod.