Old 19-04-2010, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Weeds on greens?

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:35:09 -0700 (PDT), Dinosaur_Sr
wrote:

On Apr 17, 4:59*pm, "Fred Williams" wrote:
I've never seen weeds on greens, even on the
cheapest of golf courses. So does that mean
that the grass used for greens repels weeds
or is it because of the skills of green-keepers?

The reason I ask, is because I would like to
make part of my lawn suitable for putting on.

Would overseeding with green-type seed do, or
do I have to clear a patch down to the earth (no
big deal) and start afresh?

What seed would you recommend for Southern
Ontario (Canada)?

tia

Fred

Weeds on the greens means they don't use herbicides, and IMHO that's
terrific. No way to keep weeds off the greens without
herbicides.

That's not true. There are various turf grasses that will choke out
weeds. Once established golf courses use very little chemicals... it
would be so costly to treat the acreage of an 18 hole course that
hardly anyone could afford to play. It's costly enough just to mow,
especially with the price of equipment and diesel nowadays. Golf
courses are maintained by proper irrigation and constant mowing.