Old 18-04-2010, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Food/Fruit for semi-shade?

"Jim A" wrote in message
And nettles, yes indeed. I planted one last year expecting it to

multiply and give me a bumper crop, but it hasn't much yet. I'll go find
a few more as I like nettle tea and feel rather stupid buying teabags for
it.

I could send you a few..
Nettles just love my soil and I spend hours hacking them out but I do leave
quite a few to feed the peacock, comma, and small tortoiseshell butterfly
larvae which reward me by being spectacular on my buddlieas later in the
year.
The idea that you want nettles while I spend half my life trying to get rid
of them is amazing;-)
I'm trying to get my chickens to eat nettles but they don't seem that keen.
If I throw them into their run they go "no way, we were hoping for a
dandelion.."
Tina