Old 18-04-2010, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default red pupa in dirt

On 18 Apr, 21:02, lpete301
wrote:
My kids have come across a red pupa in the dirt around our strawberry
plants. *We have brought two of them in, with some dirt and are waiting
to see what they are going to become. *I understand that they could be
any number of moths, but they look like a Large Yellow Underwing. *We
see the caterpillars that look just like the pics all around our yard.

My question is: About how long before they hatch from their chrysalids
and how do we care for them? *We have them in a butterfly habitat that
is netted all around and has a plastic lid that closes with a zipper.
So they have plenty of air flow, and just a small amount of dirt that
they are laying on top of. *I am thinking they may need more dirt, but I
am not sure how much.

Any information is greatly appreciated. *Thank you so much.

Linda (mom) Laura and Amanda (7), Megan (11).

--
lpete301

Sounds to me as if you are posting in the wrong group, probably
Gareden Banter just shifting something they can't cope with.
Talking of "Dirt" and "Yard" makes it sound as if you are from the
other side of the Pond.
You need a natural History group such as
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....-history?hl=en
ore one based nearer to home.
David Hill