Old 18-04-2010, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Food/Fruit for semi-shade?

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Jim A wrote:
®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:

/prune/

Grow a couple of tubs of potatoes on a patio or path somewhere.

Good idea - I'll put a tub out front where we do get plenty of
sunshine.

A good deep tub. Put six inches of peat/potting compost in, and 2, 3 or
four spuds, depending on the area of the base.

Cover them with another six inches and allow the spuds to sprout, then
when the shoots are well clear of the surface, put another batch of
spuds in, in the spaces between where you planted the first lot.

Continue thus until the tub is nearly full.

Keep well watered and give plenty of fertiliser. Favourite is free -
get a bucket of water and steep nettles and some other weeds in it.
When it stinks something rotten is the time to apply it. I mix it to
the ratio of about a pint of smellystuff to a bucket of water. Keep
adding water and weeds to the brew to keep it going.

This fertiliser is really good for tomatoes, too.

That's a great idea! I never thought of multi-layered spuds in tubs.
Only question .... wouldn't the lowest level be ready long before the
levels above? I grow only first & second earlies and always in tubs. Any
way to increase that production by using the same amount of containers
is most welcome.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!