Old 18-04-2010, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default bumpy lawn

In message , Muddymike
writes

"dido22" wrote in message
Hi

My lawn is bumpy! When I mow the grass it is like mowing a
newly ploughed field.

I tried a roller for the first few years ( filled with
water/gravel ). No good

I have tried top dressing, every summer for the last few years,
a mix of sharp sand & compost. No good.

The soil where I live is clay, with a few inches of 'topsoil'
added by the builders. (It is beautiful clay, creamy, heavy)

I use an electric rotary mower.

I don't want to use a rotavator, it will just bring up the
clay.

Help & advice please ?????

I have just levelled out some big dips in our front lawn. I
filled them with soil and re-seeded, the seed is now coming up
nicely. It took two trailer loads of topsoil mind.

Mike

I think that's the only way to solve the problem .... unless moving all
the mounds to bring all to the lowest level is more practical :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!