Old 19-04-2010, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Rocket seeds again!

Rusty Hinge wrote:
A) Yes, that is the preferred method.

I have real trouble getting /anything/ to germinate in our allotment soil!
They just dry up too quickly.

B) you can plant them into pots and when large enough, knock them out
and plant the lot, rooted compost...

Ok. We've mostly been using root trainers, which are good for looooong
roots, but this time the caulis are in a plain flat seed tray. I'll put
them out one day then keep an eye on them and let you know how they go.

I guess individually in paper pots might work, then plant the whole thing.
I tried that with beans last year, but I suffer from my pots going mouldy
before the plants go out, which is ... slimey.

Digging them out of a tray 'checks' them, and that's it. Very pleasant
gobbets of cauli result innit.

Just have to remember to pick them when they're still small and not wait for
them to giant up!

I could be tempted to use (Shhhh! EC spies might be listening!) the
juice from boiled rhubarb leaves to spray the aphids with.

A-ha, I was discussing this with someone yesterday! We both had vague ideas
that there was /something/ I could do with the rhubarb leaves (other than
remembering not to feed it to the chickens!!)!