Old 20-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] pinus strobus backbudding!!

Craig,
Congratulations on the back budding. Eastern white will back bud when
healthy and after pruning it back a bit. Generally the number of back buds
are few and far between. You can not count on them appearing in a specific
spot. Generally the back buds will be on wood that is less than 10 years
old.
You are fortunate, and talented, indeed to achieve this back budding.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
You read it right! Not a lot, but definitely backbudding. This is on a
tree I collected three years ago on a roadside in Maine. It's about
20-30 years old, rough guess. This is it's third year in a mica pot.
For the last two years I fertilized it heavily and pinched candles, and
this year I wired almost the entire tree. The new buds are not
everywhere, and there aren't a lot, but it is a welcome sight. Eastern
White Pine is often poo-poo'ed by the experts, but it's my tree and I
like it!

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a