Old 19-04-2010, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jean B. Jean B. is offline

Default moss gardens

Billy wrote:
In article , "Jean B."
wrote:

In another group, a man was talking about ridding moss from his
yard. After a bit of banter between pro-moss and ant-moss folks,
I said I would have a moss garden and name it after him.
Actually, there is an area on the north side of the new abode that
currently has some moss and ferns, and I'd like to encourage and
supplement both in that area. Has anyone got good resources for
moss? I am currently looking at:

http://www.mossacres.com/default.asp

This is actually logical to me, because I long ago came to the
conclusion that I don't want to fight nature (especially when it
means poisoning the earth, etc.).

Thanks,

Thank you

http://www.ehow.com/how_11697_grow-moss-garden.html

How to Grow Moss for Your Garden

Instructions
Things You'll Need:
€ Handful Mosses
€ One Can Beer
€ Plastic Spoons
€ Spatulas
€ Spatulas
€ 1/2 teaspoon sugars

1. Put a handful of the moss you want to grow into a
blender.
2. Add 1/2 tsp. sugar and one can of beer (the cheapest brand),
or 2 cups of buttermilk and 2 cups of water.
3. Blend just long enough to mix the ingredients and break down the
moss.
4. Spread the soupy mixture with a spatula over the ground or rocks
where you want the moss to grow.

Tips & Warnings

€ Remove as much dirt from the moss as you can before you start.

€ Moss grows best in shady areas.

€ Once you've spread the moss mixture, don't get it wet or you will
wash the mixture away.
------
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/mosscare.html

Thanks, Billy. While I have frequently encountered the buttermilk
method, I had not seen the beer method before. Perhaps I'll
compare the two formulae. Hmmm. Spraying statues... I have a
very good candidate for that!

It looks like I'll have to make sure the area gets enough
moisture, so it stays green enough to please the neighbors (at a
distance, anyway).

--
Jean B., who detests monoculture lawns