Old 20-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Warwick

Default Old Railway Sleeper

In article ,
says...
"conkbrite" wrote in message
"Pat Brown" wrote in message
I have some Railway Sleeper in the garden as a border. These were put a
couple of years ago and have now started to fade. I have been told that

can't paint them as the oil in the wood would react badly. I would like

return them to a darker natural wood shade without risking any harm to

the
garden/wildlife. Can anyone suggest the best way to go.

Many Thanks

creosote is fine
david

Yep, a fine carcinogenic compound.

/me checks that "quotefix" really did 49 fixes on that bunch of posts

Again we come to the same 'risk assesment' lark we have with cat poo.

The risks associated with creosote are minimal for carcinogens. I'd
personally object to it as a cause of a stench. Any dark woodstain and
preserver would do the job should restore the effect you wish for.

Subject to screams from here.. I'd advise a dark oak water based stain
to resore depth of colour.

Warwick