Old 20-04-2010, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Damage to a tree

I go along with what Martin says here, but only you can tell how severe it
is, for example is the tree dead, or is it 'winter'?

There is a very strong case of a Health and Safety matter here for people
attending graves and the possibility of the tree toppling and killing or
injuring someone. With all joking apart about being killed in a graveyard, I
feel that a letter to the Council, a clearly worded letter at that, pointing
out that they might stand to receive a very severe claim if nothing is done
about the tree, then you stand a good chance of having something done.

Don't forget, that once your letter hits the council's desk, 'something' has
to be done. This depending on the council as to whether it is 3, 5 or 7
days.

And finish off the letter that you would support any claim should anything
happen because warning notice has been given.

Send your letter recorded delivery :-))

Helping my daughter and son in law on having two, if possible, but certainly
one tree felled which has is growing on Council public land which has grown
to be a danger to their house. Rather a large claim if it falls and
demolishes part of their house!!!!

Mike

--
Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
john hamilton wrote:
Our local council has a lot of trees with ivy growing on them like this.
They have been notified about it, but they do nothing.

See picture on this link on Tinypic webpage.

http://tinypic.com/r/16hj0iw/5

Would ivy growing like this do any damage to a tree?

Only in the sense that it increases the wind loading in winter and may
result in the thing being blown over in storms. A healthy tree can
tolerate ivy growing on it, but the example you show is pretty extreme.

Regards,
Martin Brown