Old 20-04-2010, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Damage to a tree

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:17:45 +0100, "john hamilton"
wrote:

Our local council has a lot of trees with ivy growing on them like this.
They have been notified about it, but they do nothing.

See picture on this link on Tinypic webpage.

http://tinypic.com/r/16hj0iw/5

Would ivy growing like this do any damage to a tree?

According to a certified arborist, ivy wont hurt trees in Tennessee.
As you can see from the picture, the ivy did not canopy over the top
of the tree. It is better to keep the bark and the area surrounding
the tree trunk free from plants, mulch, debris. Keeping this area
clean helps discourage rodents from chewing on the bark, boring
insects, etc. In some parts of the country ivy can be very
aggressive. Just my opinion, a tree trunk covered with ivy is not
good landscaping.