Old 20-04-2010, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dido22 dido22 is offline

Default bumpy lawn

Hi & thanks

By 'scarify' you mean use a lawnraker ?

KK

"pied piper" wrote in message

"dido22" wrote in message
Hi

My lawn is bumpy! When I mow the grass it is like mowing a newly ploughed
field.

I tried a roller for the first few years ( filled with water/gravel ). No
good

I have tried top dressing, every summer for the last few years, a mix of
sharp sand & compost. No good.

The soil where I live is clay, with a few inches of 'topsoil' added by
the buliders. (It is beautiful clay, creamy, heavy)

I use an electric rotary mower.

I dont want to use a rotavator, it will just bring up the clay.

Help & advice please ?????

rolling wont level it you need to dress and seed the low area avoid
compost and sharp sand use a 60 40 sand soil mixture also before this
scarify heavily several ways to bring the higher areas down