Old 20-04-2010, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Hedge choices

Hi,

I've got good topsoil (6-12") on top of heavy clay (Sussex), reasonable
drainage. Having just chopped a 10' hawthorn hedge down to 3' for now[1],
I'm looking to start planting a new hedge between the hawthorn trunks and
take the hawthorn out when the new plants start to establish.

Are there likely to be any problems with my top 3 choices so far:

Box,
Yew,
Beech.

I might plant a hybrid hedge - I rather fancy crafting an arch in the coming
years over a pedestrian gate and I heard yew is good for that. Bit of beech
might make for some colour. May not bother with the box.

Any thoughts most welcome

Ta

Tim

[1] And spent 5 days and 5 gallons of petrol chipping 150ft lengths worth of
the b****rd stuff!!!

BTW I hate spiky plants...

--
Tim Watts