Old 20-04-2010, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Food/Fruit for semi-shade?

Gopher wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Gopher wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Gopher wrote:

That's a great idea! I never thought of multi-layered spuds in
tubs. Only question .... wouldn't the lowest level be ready long
before the levels above? I grow only first & second earlies and
always in tubs. Any way to increase that production by using the
same amount of containers is most welcome.

Not really - the time it takes the sprouts of a ready-chitted spud
to grow six, twelve, or even eighteen inches will make little
difference to what goes on underneath, just so long as the
temperature, moisture and nutrition suit the tubers.

The new tubers grow off the sprouts, so you should end up with a tub
full of spuds.

Thanks very much for the tip Rusty - will definitely try it next
year. I normally grow Foremost and Rocket (spuds - not lettuce) so I
look forward to toasting you after a bumper crop in 2001; God and
Icelandic volcanos willing!

You buy Icelandic wine?

I'm planting pink fir apple thus - pedants may inform that these
aren't strictly potatoes...

It's an excellent gritty wine with just a touch too much gas to render
it appealing to the true connoisseur.

But the amount of sulphur dioxide in it makes it idel for laying down.

I don't mean the wine thobut.

--
Rusty