Old 20-04-2010, 10:27 PM
downholme downholme is offline
Registered User

Default Flax- should it be showing signs of life?

I have a 3 foot high flax in the garden of the house we've now lived in for 5 months- thus I haven't watched it perform yet! It's not the red one, it's a greeny/yellow with wider leaves. We are in Hants.

It hasn't been well looked after; it needed a lot of cleaning up and the old flower stalks have mealy bug evidence.

Thing is, should I, by mid April, be seeing signs of new spears forming inside the crown? The existing leaves are wind-browned around the edges or where bent, but not dry or brittle. Is it still viable??

I am thinking- perhaps madly- of moving the whole thing 3 metres or so as the space it occupies could be way better used but I don't want to either waste my time IF it's effectively dead or reduce its chances of survival to nil!