Old 20-04-2010, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Hedge choices

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:15:59 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Martin
wibbled on Tuesday 20 April 2010 17:02

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:24:59 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

The kids are bright enough not to eat random things
(I've already lecturered then on mushrooms and berries).

I lectured my kids on not eating fungi with the result that decades later
neither of them will eat anything with mushrooms in it.

My 4 year old is proud to tell me often: "You can't eat mushrooms, unless
you bought them or grew them yourself"...

Still won't eat mushrooms though!

It's odd. My parents drummed into me not to eat fungi and berries, but it didn't
have the same effect on me when I was older.

I was actively encouraged to pick wild berries once I knew which ones
were good. We made jam (when we had enough (on the ration!) sugar. We
picked mushrooms in the fields round us, though I'm sure we must have
passed by plenty of perfectly good 'toadstools'.

I used to earn money in the autumn by picking carrier bags full of rose
hips from the hedgerows, and taking them to the local MoF office.
(Ministry of Food)

--
Rusty