Old 20-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Dave Fouchey

Default Spiders in the flowerbeds

Widows are actually quite common, fortunately not aggressive. They are
a member of a group of spiders referred to as Cobweb Weavers, as the
description of the web imply's. Foundation stones, rock and wood piles
are perfect habitat for widows. You are fortunate that she did NOT
bite you when pinched between your fingers and the stone.

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/info/black_widow.cfm

As for the Carolinas, spider heaven along with points south of there.
the Eight Foot Web you saw is most likely from a Golden Silk Web
Spider, Nephilia, females get HUGE, males are very small, and they are
one of the few spiders to be communal.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...la/n._clavipes$narrative.html

Did I ,mention I HATE spiders? G

Dave Fouchey

On 20 Apr 2003 01:03:41 GMT, unya (Purchgdss) wrote:

Today I found my second black widow spider. Found one last year, also.

If you have only found 3 in the last two years, count your blessings..... I
swear NC is black widow country as I find them EVERYWHERE (but not in the
house). Some were quite healthy (read - HUGE. I swear I killed one that was
1" long in body) and made expansive webs. A key I have noticed is that they do
not make organized webs. If you look for the chaotic webbing especially in
dark places, you'll pretty much know what you've got. Most spiders make the
pretty webs (I've had webs stretch 8' tall in front of my house) or small
"tunnel" webs. Black widows just make chaos. LOLOL

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine