Old 21-04-2010, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Care for Treeferns

In article ,
says...

Good morning, I am new to this forum and I wonder if there is anyone out
there that may give some advice about care for Treeferns?

We have had a Treefern (Dicksonia Antarctica) since 2005.

Unfortunately the plant suffered greatly during the harsh winter and I
was unable to save most of the fronds from dying.

Now that spring is here the plant is now mainly a stump (the tree part)
and a couple of small fronds with a small amount of green showing.

I think I can detect some frond forming activity in the stump, but
nothing has appeared as yet.

I know that in garden centres you can actually buy treeferns in this
state (stump only no fronds), but I was wondering if there is anything I
can do to bring it back to life?

Regards

John

--
Treefern

You don't normally expect to see new fronds before mid May and its normal
for Tree ferns to lose all their fronds in winter unless you are in a
mild area or its in a favourable micro climate like a city.

Make sure you give the whole trunk a good soaking and it will soon be
back to normal
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk