Old 20-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Kumar Sivasubramanian

Default Does this plant actually exist?!

Hello,

I am a translator of Japanese comics into English and I recently came
across this reference to a plant called "aihagi" in Japanese. I can't
find the English for it in any of my dictionaries.

According to the description it has 1 large leaf and 2 smaller leaves
attached together to the stem of the larger leaf, and the 2 smaller
leaves constantly spin in an ellipse.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? It is possible that it is just a
made-up plant and doesn't exist (although it's presented as
"nonfiction"), but if it does, I would love to know the scientific or
common name for it.

I also have a scan of the accompanying illustration of it. If seeing
it would help, please e-mail me and I will send it to you.

I appreciate any help you can give in advance. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Kumar