Old 21-04-2010, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default The Dandelion King from NYT opinion

In article , "Jean B."
wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/the-dandelion-king/
I may be a Dandelion court jester.

Yes! Go people! (Yeah, it's an unpopular viewpoint, but the
alternative is far worse, IMNSHO).

BTW, are you the man whom I used to discuss J. maples with? if
so, how have you evolved as far as they go?

Yes I am the same guy. Changed handle from Bill to Bill who putters.
Still into growing Japanese Maples with one noticeable change . We now
try to give 15 to 20 away each year as big is getting hard to dig.
Frees up more space for new interesting Japanese Maples. Just
discovered a full moon Japanese maple light green tinge of yellow about
30 inches high. Seems a few years may be needed for personality to show.
Now the issue is where to plant it and should it give it more sun then
our small vegetable bed gets?

Anyway made a list the other day of plants we try to grow. Forgot to
mention laurels .

Here it is.

Astibles*
Asters Died out
Andrometers (SP)
Anemones White and Purple
Azaleas and Rhododendrons
Black Bamboo
Golden Bamboo
Bamboo Scubs
Bleeding hearts Red and White
Coneflowers many colors
Day Lilies*
Epimediums
Inpatients Double and single a annual
Ferns* Japanese
Flowering Almond Bush
Japanese Hollies
Japanese Maples
Geraniums
Hellebores
Hibiscus
Deciduous Holliy
Hosta about 10 varieties*
Stewartia Tree
Franklinia Tree
Dogwood Trees
Kousa Dogwood Trees
Flowering Cherry
Weeping Crabapple Tree
Sugar Maple Tree
Solomon Seals
Red & White Oaks
American Hollies
Sweet Woodruff small 2² high ground cover edible flowers* May Wine
Pachysandra*
Phlox Many colors
Moss
Some grass lawn and not smokeable
Magnolia Trees
Peonies
Tree Peonies
Japanese Pine Tree
Umbrella Pine
White Pine
Monastery Pine Tree
Various Milkweeds
Kerria Japonica Double Yellow * Single Yellow and a Single White
Virginia Bluebells
Hops Ajuga both weeds
Caladiums bulbs* treated as annuals
Daffodils many types
Crocus
Mints
Rosemary
Thyme
Hardy Coleus
Ornamental Grasses
Hardy Roses
Trumpet Vines
Iris
Japanese Iris

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA