Old 21-04-2010, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What ate my brassicas??!

ZeroZero wrote:
I have just started gardening after years in a flat/prison.
I have built eight raised beds and planted some brassicas in most of
them. All went well for a couple of weeks and the plants established,
then virtually all the crop dissapeared overnight.
Whatever ate them left the peas and the broad bean plants not to
mention strawberries. It went for the outer leaf parts leaving the
stalk part standing. It did leave the red brassicas - mostly - having
a bit of a nibble, and it seemed to go through all the beds
metghodically.

What is it?Pigoens? Mice?
I dont think its slugs its all done in a night..

Is it worth leaving the established but denuded plants or should Ijust
get some new plants?

My guess is the only answer is to cover with old plastic bottles until
the plants get bigger

all advice welcome

Check the corpses for grubs. Cabbage moth larvae can work very fast if you
don't notice them and let them get started. If that is what it is you have
several options.

David