Old 21-04-2010, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Rhubarb

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from contains these words:

RogerT wrote:
I have a several clumps of rhubarb in the garden. One particular
variety
always seems to produce flowers on nearly every shoot and is also very

One of my allotment neighbours has a rhubarb that is producing a flower
already. She asked what to do with it, and I wasn't really sure.

Are you meant to cut the flowers off to keep it producing?

No, just to conserve the strength of the root system.

The OP's clump may be on its last legs . Since he has others, I'd dig
it out, save some small lively looking bits
of root from the outer edges, and start a new clump in a nearby spot.
(Dig very big deep hole, fill with manure, old bones, road kill,
old leather shoes, and fresh soil.)

If you could also get hold of a dead donkey that would probably help too,
but of course the hole would need to be deeper.
Tina