Old 22-04-2010, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default Cauliflower planting. (was Rocket seeds again!)

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Glad you said 'almost' - you shouldn't transplant cauliflowers or you'll
only get tiny curds.
That may explain a lot. Are you meant to plant seeds in their final growing
spot, then? That sounds ... tricky. I have a tray of caulis waiting to go
out from the greenhouse as soon as I get the chance, but they decided to
coat themselves in greenfly. :-(

A) Yes, that is the preferred method.

B) you can plant them into pots and when large enough, knock them out
and plant the lot, rooted compost...

Digging them out of a tray 'checks' them, and that's it. Very pleasant
gobbets of cauli result innit.

Just curious how they plant fields of cauli seedlings round here and
produce decent caulis. Or is it different for spring cauli?

Probably a white variety of broccoli.
Looks like cauli, tastes like cauli, but...

Googling spring cauliflower doesn't seem to indicate that. I've always
grown, and transplanted, spring cauli - it rarely has resident
caterpillars! And the longer growing season seems to give better heads.
While I've not grown summer/autumn caulis for a few years, when I did they
were decent heads from transplanted seedlings - just lots of caterpillars!