Old 22-04-2010, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L.[_2_] Dan L.[_2_] is offline

Default The Dandelion King from NYT opinion

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Fred Williams" wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/the-dandelion-king/
I may be a Dandelion court jester.

The link http://safelawns.org/articles/Banned_in_Canada.cfm from
your URL describes the pesticide ban in Canada - but that only
applies to local government managers of green spaces - so while
our roadside grass is covered in dandelions we homeowners try
to stop it spreading into our gardens. Surely someone can find a
dandelion killer that doesn't harm the environment? Personally I
have a tool to dig deep and remove them from my lawns - you just
have to make sure that you start early in the season, else your
grass will be replaced by dandelions!

Fred

You could put them in your salad, and save a little on your food bill.

For those that want a chemical free lawn and an almost dandelion free
lawn can do these things. In the spring, mow the yard short with a
bagger. Mow the the yard before the dandelions go to seed. Hot compost
the grass. When the grass itself goes to seed let it grow tall then cut,
no bagging. In the fall reapply the compost to the yard. Just a thought
or two.

Dandelions are typically the first flowers to pollinate and provides
food for the hungry bees. So I prefer a few dandelions in the yard. Also
have you ever seen a yard loaded with dandelions and no grass?
A sea of yellow colors that just looks beautiful for a short while.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.