Old 22-04-2010, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default chicken not laying

wrote in message
wafflycat wrote:
How old is she?

(As I said above :-) she's just over 1, if I recall correctly.
She was one of our first pair. (Actually, our replacement first pair, cos
the first got taken back cos they were yucky) We got our first about a
year
ago, not sure of the date, and she was POL, so I'm guessing she's between
14
and 16 months.

Is she eating & drinking well?

Seems to be.

Is she swollen up at all?

Not that I've noticed.

Are her droppings ok?

Hard to tell whose is whose, but no-one seems to be having problems.

Has she been wormed?
And external parasites?

Hmm, that would be NIck's area, not mine, so I would have to check with
him.

However, I've just remembered - over winter we thought we were going to
lose
her, cos she had a broken egg, but after some prodding and TLC she
recovered. I wonder if she may have had internal damage that has healed
over but caused a permanent problem?

As you may be able to tell, we're relatively new to this game!

She ought to be laying again by now, in fact a one year old will often lay
through the winter, but given her recent problems you might have to be
patient to see if she comes into lay again and if not decide whether you
want to keep her just as a pet.
It all depends on whether you keep your hens only when they are productive.