Old 23-04-2010, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Drainage issues after repotting

In article ,
Livs wrote:

I bought some young tomato and strawberry plants today to grow in
containers as I have a small garden. I planted these out using grow bag
compost specifically for fruit and veg into a rattan hanging basket (3
tomato plants into a 14") and the strawberry into a tub on its own. I
watered them both until the soil was soaked as I was advised to
encourage root development. The problem is that neither the basket or
the tub appeared to have any water dripping out of the drainage holes
once watered (about 6 holes in the bottom of the tub and 3 slits made in
the lining of the rattan basket) and the water just seems to be sitting
on the top layer. I don't know what I've done wrong and am quite
concerned as I think I ruined my tomatoes a couple of years ago by
leaving them in waterlogged soil.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Also an indication of how much
water I should be giving each plant daily would be really helpful as
there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this on the net and from
past experience I don't think my instincts are too reliable in the case
of gardening! Many thanks

Sounds like you need to re-pot with the bottom inch (2.4cm), or more, in
rock and sand, in order to keep the drains open.
--
- Billy