Old 22-04-2010, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_2_] Ian B[_2_] is offline

Default Tea for houseplants - good idea?

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Timothy Murphy contains these words:

Donwill wrote:

We use used tea-bags as a mulch for Camelias around the garden.

In my experience tea-bags take an inordinate time to disintegrate.
I've stopped putting them in my compost-bin as they were still there
a year later.
The bags seem to be made of some rot-proof material.
I wonder if it depends on the make of tea-bag?

Must do; ours are always gone within 6 months (the usual turnaround
time for my heaps).
Our brands are Scottish Blend (Unilever) and Co-op Fairtrade Earl
Grey, if that's any help :-)

Today during my mystery euphorbia adventure, I fished another 4 teabags out
of the compost; they'd been there well over 2 years. They were soggy, but
still in one piece. Maybe it's just PG Tips.

Ian