Old 23-04-2010, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default Tea for houseplants - good idea?

On 22 Apr, 14:28, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Donwill wrote:
We use used tea-bags as a mulch for Camelias around the garden.

In my experience tea-bags take an inordinate time to disintegrate.
I've stopped putting them in my compost-bin as they were still there
a year later.
The bags seem to be made of some rot-proof material.
I wonder if it depends on the make of tea-bag?

I was once told to tear the bags open before putting them in the bin,
and always do so. At least you'll never be able to see the leaves :-)
but I never notice the bags either. I empty the bin once a year.

But I've never been able to compost eggshells. Presumably the compost
has to be acidic?

The one example of "compostible" food packaging I got never did
anything either.

Chris