Old 23-04-2010, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve B[_5_] Steve B[_5_] is offline

Default Strawberry questions

We bought some killer one gallon strawberry plants the other day. They all
have strawberries on them, some ripe.

I want to grow a bunch of them. I have four 8' railroad ties. OLD railroad
ties that are bleached white, so most of the chemicals should be gone.

Would an 8' bed raised that high (about 8") be a good bed? We got 10 yards
of good compost from a nursery, and it is very high quality.

Should I mix anything else with the compost? The local dirt is sand dune
blowsand. Should I mix any gravel in for drainage?

I want to put the black half inch pipe in there for irrigation. A friend
who has a lot of strawberries says that they like a lot of water here. It
gets blazing hot in the summer, and pretty cold in the winter. How wet
should I keep them?

I like using different meals, blood, bone, etc, instead of chemical
fertilizers. What would be a good amendment?

Lastly, propagation. Do you just plant them and let them grow? How far
would I separate the plants?

Thanks in advance. Hope this year's garden is better than last year's.

Steve
XXtreme SW Utah
3700' elev
zone 7-8