Old 23-04-2010, 12:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Strawberry questions

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Steve B wrote:
We bought some killer one gallon strawberry plants the other day. They
all have strawberries on them, some ripe.

You missed talking about sun, probably because the OP has plenty of
sun (and didn't ask), I don't.

I have a single strawberry planted in the fall last year that has set
out several pups. I have little open area and it's a trade off for me
what to plant where. The strawberries are growing into the shaded area,
perhaps 4 or 5 hours of full sun. Are strawberries more tolerant of
shade than say cucurbits or tomatoes? My current thinking, whether it is
right I don't know, is to plant the greens (kale and swiss chard) in the
less sunny garden edges, the strawberries are there also.

Jeff