Old 23-04-2010, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Strawberry questions

In article ,
says...

I want to grow a bunch of them. I have four 8' railroad ties. OLD railroad
ties that are bleached white, so most of the chemicals should be gone.

Steve,

When we moved here there were a number of partly rotted out RR ties.

When I cut them down to use the remaining solid pieces to shore up an
eroding part of the hill, every solid section was full of creosote.

YMMV but my experience says that this stuff doesn't evaporate out.

I used them but they are 20 to 30 feet away from anything edible.